It is a common misconception that washing machines don’t need to be cleaned. Most people believe that the detergents automatically clean washing machine. Unfortunately, the minerals and soap residue inside the detergents actually cause build-up in the washing machine that makes it dirty. Other factors like leftover fabric softener and lint, mould, and mildew also make the washing machine grimy and smell rank.
A grimy and smelly washing machine will also cause your clothes to smell bad and not be cleaned properly. It is recommended to clean the washing machine once every six months. Follow the methods given below to clean your washing machine (both top load and front load).
Cleaning Front-Loading Washing Machines:
Things you will require – Baking soda, distilled white vinegar, toothbrush, spray bottle, and microfiber cloth.
Step 1- A vinegar wash is the first step to clean washing machine. In the detergent dispenser, add 2 cups of white vinegar. Then set the hottest temperature setting and complete a full cycle.
Step 2 – After the first wash is complete, add one cup of baking soda and run another cycle on the hottest setting.
Step 3 – Spray some distilled vinegar on a microfiber cloth. Take this cloth and clean the top and bottom of the lid, and the front and side of the washer.
Step 4 – Clean the detergent dispenser and the fabric softener dispenser with the help of a toothbrush. Remove the gunk and wipe them with a dry cloth.
Step 5 – Clean the rubber seal and drum with a cloth soaked in warm water and baking soda solution. You might also need to pull back the rubber gasket to thoroughly clean it. If the mould doesn’t go away easily, put the cloth dipped in the mixture and put the cloth there for 30 minutes to soak.
Step 6 -Once everything is thoroughly cleaned, leave the lid open to remove moisture. Moisture is the number one reason for mould formation in the washing machine.
Cleaning Top-Loading Washing Machines:
Things you will require – Bleach, distilled white vinegar, toothbrush, spray bottle, and microfiber cloth.
Step 1: Add 4 cups of bleach into the machine and add hot water like you usually do for doing laundry. Let this mixture sit for an hour, with the top lid being open.
Step 2: Once an hour has passed by, run a full wash cycle. This will draw out the bleach completely with the water.
Step 3: Again fill the tub with hot water and this time adds 4 cups of white vinegar. Make sure you don’t ever mix the vinegar and bleach together. Let this mixture sit for an hour.
Step 4: Run a full wash cycle again. Step 5: Mix a solution of equal parts of vinegar and water and spray it onto a microfiber cloth. Clean the external parts of the machine and the gasket with this solution. Use a toothbrush to clean the dispensers.
Tips for maintaining a clean washing machine
Here are a few tips that can help you in maintaining a clean washing machine in between the months of cleaning it.
- Leave the lid open: After a wash cycle, leave the lid or gate open to air out the machine. This stops mould and mildew from forming.
- Avoid extra detergent: Adding extra detergent load will create more soap residue and increase the wear and tear on the machine. Use the manual to know the amount of detergent required.
- Read the manual: Every washing machine comes with an instructional manual, reading this is a good idea because it provides you with the dos and don’ts and maintains the machine for a longer time.
- Don’t keep the clean clothes in for a long time: Take out the washed clothes as soon as you can to avoid odour from settling in.
- Pet hair or debris: Clean the wet pet hair and debris by allowing it to dry and using a vacuum to take out the hair.
- Stop overloading: Overloading a washing machine can be very damaging for the machine in the long run. Also, if you put a big load into the machine that it cannot handle, the clothes won’t be properly cleaned. Overloading also causes the machine to shake. Make sure to divide your clothes into loads that the machine can carry and if there’s an excess you can always just run another wash load.
These methods are really effective to clean washing machine effectively. Assess your washing machine every few months to see if it smells bad or if there is any mould that is being accumulated. After using these methods and the tips, your washing machine should be clean as a new one and ready to do laundry. If you are looking for professional cleaning services that will save you from the hassle of this procedure, contact DP Electrical Repairs for washing machine service in Melbourne.